Re: SELinux alleged Attack!

Andy Green wrote:

Well, none of these are normal avcs that you would see if selinux was
denying access to something.

A classical avc that makes trouble looks like this:

Sep  2 05:03:13 hostname kernel: audit(1188705793.190:416): avc:  denied
 { search } for  pid=12965 comm="wpa_supplicant" name="netdev:wlan0"
dev=debugfs ino=2841020 scontext=user_u:system_r:NetworkManager_t:s0
tcontext=system_u:object_r:debugfs_t:s0 tclass=dir

Come on Andy, there are a whole lot of AVC things and they explain why
the computer came up so slow. SELinux was trying to get some things done
and they were not succeeding so it slowed everything to a crawl.

What is there are reports of error, and I got them from
/var/log/messages/ and explains to me how SELinux slowed down my computer.

How many of these "AVC things" that are not avcs are there?  Unless
there are hundreds of thousands per boot it doesn't in itself explain
why it "slowed everything to a crawl".  If permissions are denied on
opening a file or whatever, it's recorded in a single avc and that is
the end of the story, it failed -- bang, exit.  It doesn't hang around
weeping and feeling bad until it gets the energy to go on.

There has to be a reason why a process hangs on until it times out, and
"selinux problems" is not enough of an explanation.  As proposed by
others, network timeouts are a pretty common source of hanging around
for 'long' periods -- 'long' considering the 2 or 3 billion operations a
second your CPU is always wanting to do.

-Andy

Come on Andy, these were all caused by SELinux and explains if you can figure out what they mean. I can't and you won't because your convinced these are not done by SELinux.

   So there seems to be nothing more to say.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User