Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Bruce Byfield wrote:

On the machines where I've used fedora, things that worked in the initial install have broken regularly in updates [snip] These are specifically fedora issues, though, not Linux in general.

Actually, they're update issues.

Which translates to security issues for distributions that don't split security and behavior-changing updates.

Having a nagging updater is not the
best of ideas, because many people will update automatically, and
there's no provision in the software for explaining which are security
updates that you should have and which are minor updates that you could
live without.

And in the life of a fedora distribution there will always be security updates in the kernel and no way to keep a working version without keeping the vulnerability.

I've seen the same sort of problems with other distributions, as well as
Windows.

We have a lot of windows machines on all the same hardware as has broken with fedora, and keep them all updated. I can't recall any of them ever failing to boot after an update, at least in the post win2ksp2 era which would be pretty close to the entire lifespan of fedora. Windows has its problems, but binary device drivers aren't among them as far as working for end users goes.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx