Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

taharka wrote:
How do,

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 11:56 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
Most of you have already seen this:

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=302

See also, http://www.linux.com/feature/119049
and http://www.linux.com/feature/118724  ;-)

If ATI follows through with this initiative in the way that is laid out here,
then there will finally be fully supported graphics drivers available for ATI
on Linux.  This is a welcome addition to the rather short list of "good"
graphics cards for Linux (which currently consists of Intel and, well, that's
about it) and ATI cards can be purchased stand-alone and not just built -in to a
motherboard.

If ATI cards obtain the level of open source support that Intel has right now,
this can be nothing but a very good thing for everyone involved.

You never know.... perhaps this will put sufficient pressure on Nvidia to
finally "do the right thing" as well, and we will finally have all of the common
graphics cards properly supported out-of-the-box when setting up a computer.
So far the nVidia video card on my motherboard has been the one biggest head acke in this computer. It is wonderful with Windows I hear but it sucks on Linux. Had I known....

This announcement is the best news that I've heard all week.

Of course, it's all in the follow through and it will be very interesting to
see how this plays out over the next few months.

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI