Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 22:02 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
nVidia themselves are doing more work for the Linux version since they
can't count on a stable interface.

  From what I've seen of the Linux stance on this, their attitude (which
I don't necessarily disagree with) was:  You make your device driver or
hardware stable, and we'll deal with keeping our kernel working with it.

They've never offered that as equals across a stable interface and instead demand to own the source. From the other side it comes across more like an extortion demand: give us your source or we'll keep breaking the interface until you give up. I think ATI may have given up. Nvidia claims they can't because of legal issues with third party code - and in any case they should have the right to control their own work without having their customers shot in the feet if they want to try Linux.

The one thing I dislike, compared to the BSD notion, is stuffing
everything into the kernel.

They can't demand to control it otherwise.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx