Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Tim wrote:

> In the past, I have done a drive swap between different hardware, and
> simply running kudzu was enough to get the system to switch drivers,
> etc., from the stuff needed for the old hardware for what's needed for
> the different hardware.  It worked for me, but I could have just been
> lucky.  If an initrd had been compiled for my hardware, and the second
> lot was sufficiently different, that might have been a whole lot worse.

From my experience, as long as the controller for the drive
interface uses the same driver, you can at least get to run level 3.
You may have to install new video drivers to get to run level 5, or
reconfigure X. If you need different hard drive drivers, then you
need to rebuild the initrd. Not to hard if you know how to spot the
correct driver when doing lsmod after booting a rescue or live CD.
But a newbie is probably better off doing an upgrade install.

Mikkel