Re: How to modify xorg.conf from command line in rescue console (F7)

On Saturday 1 September 2007 4:55:55 pm Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 16:50 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> > Detailed instructions on how to start a command line editor for this
> > file would be appreciated as well as how to save and exit from it.
>
> And to provide a third alternative...  ;-)   Which might be necessary,
> if joe or emacs aren't already installed, and if you can't manage to
> install either of them.  vi is probably installed by default.  You'd
> start it with the vi command and the filepath/filename.
>
> e.g. vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Hit the insert key to start inserting text wherever the cursor is (it
> starts up in a reading mode).  Type what you want to do to the file.
> Hit escape to get out of the editing mode.  Then colon w q <enter> to
> write (w) your changes, and (q) quit the program.  e.g. :wq

Editors are one of those things where it is really each to their own.

For the record, I would not recommend vi/vim as the first editor to try, if
they are new to linux. Yes, it might be the only one installed by default,
but that can be fixed with a simple

 > yum install emacs joe nano

(assuming you have network)

I say this since personally, I have never understood the vi distinction
between reading mode and editting mode, and in my experiences its a concept
quite confusing to a lot of people..

Chris