Re: iwl3945 and FC6

> Andy Green <andy <at> warmcat.com> writes:
>
>> IIRC recently there was a change to the version of iwl3945 firmware that
>> was required by the newer driver... on F7 you needed at least
>
>> iwlwifi-firmware-2.14.3-2
>
> I guess it is possible that the later 2.6.22 fc6 kernel needs the newer
> firmware file (2.14.4 is available). Odd that I can get the previous 2.6.22
> kernel to run iwl3945 though.

It's quite credible this can happen, since the Fedora kernels are
blessed with more drivers and more up-to-date versions than the mainline
kernel.

> I will try to find time over the next few days to put the newer firmware file
> into /lib/firmware and try to get the newer kernel (and its updated iwl3945)
> to work with it...  I also wonder if it will work if the interface is defined
> as eth1 rather than wlan0?

You can just install the package with rpm, you don't need to fiddle with
/lib/firmware, it'll take care of it.

I understood that the driver or maybe the mac80211 stack chooses the
network interface name.  Since all of the mac80211 drivers call it wlan0
I would just get used to that I think.

-Andy