iwl3945 and FC6

I have a laptop with FC6 running which has a 3845 wireless card in it.

With the previous kernel (2.6.22.1-32.fc6) I had both ipw3945 and iwl3945
drivers installed (ipw3945 by compiling the driver and the new iwl3945 in the
new kernel)

I had both eth1 defined which used the ipw3945 driver, and wlan0 defined which
used the iwl3945 but not at the same time. In order to get the iwl3945 running I
had to blacklist the iwl3945 driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, and then start
the interface by adding a line /sbin/ifup wlan0 in /etc/rc.local as well as
adding lines to stop the ipw3945 interface which had been previously set up.

Today I updated to the new kernel 2.6.22.2-42.fc6 and tried to run the iwl3945
driver without compiling the old ipw3945 driver module.  I ran into difficulties
and could not get it to work.

I seem to remember that there were problems with starting a wireless interface
in F7 that was due to a udev problem, and wondered if there is a similar problem
in FC6?

The way I intended to run the iwl3945 driver was to define
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 with a line onboot=yes

Have no blacklisting of iwl3945. Have /etc/modprobe.conf with alias wlan0 iwl3945
and simply reboot to get the interface up - but it throws an error message and
the interface did not start.

Has anyone got iwl3945 to come up cleanly in FC6 with the latest kernel?

I am not keen to move this machine to F7 until I can get iwl3945 running cleanly
on FC6.