Re: Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Frank Cox wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:43:29 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Define "just works,"

Just what it says.  Plug it in and it starts working.

what is your firmware line in snapscan.conf?

There is none.  No firmware upload is required for this scanner.

The relevant line in snapscan.conf is this:

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin

Notice that it hasn't changed from the default as-installed snapscan.conf.

I had another thought on this, do you actually have a file there, and if so what's in it and who put it there? I don't have anything there, I did try putting the firmware downloaded from Epson in that directory and changing the name, then I got hardware errors.
This would just work if I could get xsane to stop trying to improve it and use it as is. Do you have/use a firmware update, and if not how did you ask it not to try to do one?

The issue never came up.  I plugged in the scanner, loaded xsane, and started
scanning stuff.  That's really all there was to it.

What kind of interface do you use, uhci or ehci? I have both in the machines I tried, but I used the rear connectors and they are uhci based. Any thoughts on that would be nice, there must be some reason it works for you.

Oh, was the scanner connected at install time? Is there anything in modprobe.conf related? I had the scanner present for the FC6 install, not for either FC7.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc