Re: Has anyone ever made scanning work?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:06:09 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
> > firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin
> >
> > Notice that it hasn't changed from the default as-installed snapscan.conf.
> >

> I had another thought on this, do you actually have a file there, and if
> so what's in it and who put it there?

The directory /usr/share/sane/snapscan doesn't even exist.  All that I have
in /usrs/share/sane is a file called sane-style.rc and a directory named xsane.

> What kind of interface do you use, uhci or ehci?

I have no idea.  It's just plugged into a USB port on the computer.  And, as I
said, it's always "just worked".

> Oh, was the scanner connected at install time?

No.  I actually set up that computer at a different location (my office) before
moving it to its actual location (a different office).  When I set up the
computer all I plugged into it was a mouse, keyboard, monitor and network cable.

> Is there anything in  modprobe.conf related?

Not that I can see.  Here is the modprobe.conf from that machine:

alias eth0 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1