Re: New Hard Drive

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 06:38 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Tue August 14 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >
> >>     This whole thing is getting out of hand! I spent $110 for a hard
> >> drive and then $24 for a controller card and now you verify my fear that
> >> I need some cables not part of the controller card. But I can turn this
> >> whole thing off yet with a phone call :-)
> >>

> > many SATA drives and controller cards come with cables - you might ask before
> > you cancel, what's included - you will need a SATA data cable, fairly
> > standard, and probably, a power converter cable - some SATA drives will
> > accept the older IDE-style white plastic rectangular connector - many newer
> > ones only take the SATA style power connector which is usually black and
> > wider and thinner than the older style - but many of the above items will
> > include a power adapter cable to get you from the IDE style white plastic
> > type to the newer SATA blade type
> >

>     Thanks a lot! I know what to ask when I talk with them :-)
> To be safe I better get a power adapter as well. This sure is looking
> like a Rube Goldberg change and I dislike these.

Karl,
you can always call them and say, "oops, sorry, my kit is to old to be
trying to shovel SATA into it. Please cancel my other orders and give me
the biggest IDE disk you have for under a hundred. Thanks.".

And since you're not hurting for money, like to run cutting edge stuff
and have a 5+ year old computer, maybe you should consider getting a new
one? They've really gotten comparatively cheap.

Just a thought.

Andy