Re: New Hard Drive

Robin Laing wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Claude Jones wrote:
On Tue August 14 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
 Thanks a lot! I know what to ask when I talk with them :-)
To be safe I better get a power adapter as well. This sure is looking
like a Rube Goldberg change and I dislike these.

It really isn't. I've got lots of machines at my work using varieties of this configuration. Once you've done it once, you'll never look back. SATA is a lot faster, even using a card in an older box.

How much better will depend on how old the IDE you replaced was. SATA is faster but you won't see a huge difference from recent IDE models.

I will be learning a lot over the next few days. I was able to stop shipping of the sata hard drive and the controller and yes I would have to buy all the new cables at $18 bucks :-\

But now I am trying to learn how to make a Software RAID1 system. I Goggled and got some serious but very old data which I printed out :-) and hope to be able to apply to F7 but it looks bad now. I will try man raid and such as that before I attack the raid job. And it will take 3-5 days to get the new IDE 160 GB HD ;-)

   So away we go.

If you are going to mirror your present drive, I would do it in two steps.

Create the RAID1 drive with the new drive.

Mount it and copy all the data to the new drive.

Change the system configuration to boot off of the new drive and then use your old drive and add it to the RAID.

As for IDE drives. I was reading and article earlier this week that stated IDE drives may not be produced after this year. At least no newer models.

When I get around to building a new computer it will have serial hard drives and DVD's and all such new stuff. But right today IDE still works fine as it has for 15 years.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User