Re: About to go back to windows host -- need advice

David Frascone wrote:

So -- I'm considering going a different direction. I still don't want dual boot -- there are several times when having access to both windows and linux at the same time is very useful. So, I'm considering using XP as the *Host* os, and running Linux in a VMware session. So -- this generates some questions: o I *assume* that Linux will be WAY more friendly in a vmware session than windows -- is this a correct assumption?

Not sure what happens when you suspend/resume the windows host, but otherwise everything should be fine.

o Is VMWare the best thing to use here? I know Linux is pretty happy in other virtualizers -- which one works best with windows as a host? Before anyone starts talking about *real* virtualizers -- keep in mind I have a Pentium M, w/o the VT stuff -- So -- Xen is out.

You'll want to install vmware tools in the guest to get better performance. I don't think the other choices (parallels, virtualpc) have an equivalent and it makes a big difference.

If you are mostly network-connected, another option to consider would be putting linux on a different box somewhere and accessing it with freenx and the windows NX client. You'll get approximately the same effect when connected, plus the ability to disconnect with everything still running which may or may not be an advantage, depending on what you are doing.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx