Re: Asus p4p800 deluxe BROKEN INSTALL on FC5- FC6-FC7

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 10:59 -0400, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
>
>> Trying to install causes a seg fault when dealing with the hard drives
>> either in BIOS setting compatibility mode or SATA mode. Anaconda shows
>> the hard drives as "/dev/mapper" or something like that, but as you
>> know, they should appear as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. All I ever see is a
>> single "/dev/mapper" which suggests that Anaconda sees a raid array even
>> after I fdisk the drives. Of coarse this also rendered the system
>> unusable after the seg fault resulted in a reboot.
>>

> What's the output of dmesg when you boot off of the cd-rom?
>
> Jonathan

Well I'll have to get that. I think the main point here is that FC5,6,7
recognize the hard drives as "/dev/mapper" for both drives. This is the
issue. Cent0S 5 shows them as /dev/{sda,sdb} but still won't intall.
These are the OSes that will install. (Cent0S 4, RHEL4, Suse "all
latest" , and Gentoo, FC3 and  think 4) So looking back  at the bug
reports from FC3 , you will see this problem and how it was fixed. Then
they simply broke the install again for 3 CONSECUTIVE %$%*%@#$%
RELEASES, which I must say pisses me off so much. So it is the how FC
sees the harddrive that remains the problems.