Re: About to go back to windows host -- need advice

On 8/10/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Frascone wrote:

> So -- I'm considering going a different direction.  I still don't want
> dual boot -- there are several times when having access to both windows
> and linux at the same time is very useful.  So, I'm considering using XP
> as the *Host* os, and running Linux in a VMware session.  So -- this
> generates some questions:
>    o   I *assume* that Linux will be WAY more friendly in a vmware
> session than windows -- is this a correct assumption?

Not sure what happens when you suspend/resume the windows host, but
otherwise everything should be fine.

>    o   Is VMWare the best thing to use here?  I know Linux is pretty
> happy in other virtualizers -- which one works best with windows as a
> host?  Before anyone starts talking about *real* virtualizers -- keep in
> mind I have a Pentium M, w/o the VT stuff -- So -- Xen is out.

You'll want to install vmware tools in the guest to get better
performance.  I don't think the other choices (parallels, virtualpc)
have an equivalent and it makes a big difference.

If you are mostly network-connected, another option to consider would be
putting linux on a different box somewhere and accessing it with freenx
and the windows NX client. You'll get approximately the same effect when
connected, plus the ability to disconnect with everything still running
which may or may not be an advantage, depending on what you are doing.

That's definitely an option.  I had discounted NX in the past, since it was incompatible with synergy -- but since I don't use synergy any more . .

I did forget one other question:  When I re-do things, can I choose to dual-boot *or* run the linux partition in vmware?  Or, would it be better to just pick VMWare *or* natively booting?

I know windows doesn't like to do both . . and I assume that linux won't enjoy the constant driver changing -- but other than that . . . could that be the "best of both worlds"?  I could boot to linux sometimes -- or -- other times run in in a VM, off of the normal linux partition?

--
David Frascone

Meow... SPLAT... Ruff... SPLAT... (Raining cats & dogs)