Re: Cups

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 13:56 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> >> But are you using CUPS?
> >> If so, how did you configure it?
> >> In one of your earlier posts, you said you had no /etc/cups/printers.conf
> >> , and /etc/cups/cups.conf seemed more or less empty.
>
> >     I have the latest updated cups loaded and /etc/cups/ which has this:
> >
> > [root@k5di etc]# cd cups
> > [root@k5di cups]# ls
> > classes.conf        cupsd.conf.O  pdftops.conf      snmp.conf
> > classes.conf.O      interfaces    ppd               ssl
> > client.conf         lpoptions     printers.conf     subscriptions.conf
> > cupsd.conf          mime.convs    printers.conf.O
> > cupsd.conf.default  mime.types    pstoraster.convs
> > [root@k5di cups]#
> >
> > And it is all working just fine.
>
> But how did you configure CUPS?
> Just installing it won't tell CUPS what printer you are using.
>
> Incidentally, I "yum update" my machines more or less daily,
> and never had any problem with printing,
> so there cannot have been a universal problem with udev.
>
> You seem to assume that if something works or does not work
> on your system the same must be true on every system in the world.
As someone who opposed blaming udev I need to reply. It is true that
with the previous udev 113-8 no /dev/lp* files were formed.. With
udev-133-9 your get them. Which itself is strange on my machine without
a parallel port.

"As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty,
and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a
scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls."s
-- Matt Cartmill