Re: fedora 6 kernel panic issues

Jason Taylor wrote:
Actually the controller is on the drive now, not on the motherboard.
This has been true since the adoption of IDE.  The motherboard host
adapter or interface is only passing commands to the controller which is
actually on the disk.  It is a historical semantic misnomer that we call
a host adapter a controller.  So by changing out the drive you are
effectively changing the controller.
Of course this says nothing about bad cables or bad power etc.

I know if you have one disk that is failing on the secondary for analysis and a usually working disk as the primary, the primary will be slow as the bad disks performance. Though it has been a long time since I had the CD-burner cause errors on the hard drive, I seem to recall errors mentioned regarding the hard drive on the same *host* *adapter*

I guess I should update to host adapter. MFM drives are pretty much historical.

--
"Confound these ancestors.... They've stolen our best ideas!"
- Ben Jonson