Re: why is my wireless totally borked in f7?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 12:32:05PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, John W. Linville wrote:

> > I added a comment to the bottom of that page:
> >
> > Users of the softmac-based "bcm43xx" driver should use the firmware from here:
> >
> >  http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
> >
> > FWIW, users of the mac80211-based "bcm43xx-mac80211" driver should use the firmware from here:
> >
> >  http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
>
> that page is still seriously confusing since the example it uses
> includes "bcmwl5.sys", which doesn't match *either* of the above.
>
> that page also suggests that, after you install the firmware and
> modprobe the driver, running "system-config-network" will show you a
> choice of the Broadcom eth1 device.  we've already established earlier
> today that, after i did what appeared to be the correct firmware
> config, i got no such choice.
>
> i am not at all convinced that the instructions on that page are
> meaningful.  have they actually been tested with F7?

Beats the crap out of me -- I didn't write them.  Why are you fixated
on this one website?  Anyway, complain to whomever wrote it.

FWIW, that page seems to be describing the "bcm43xx" driver, while
you appear to be using the "bcm43xx-mac80211" driver.  I can't imagine
why the instructions might not match-up perfectly.

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@xxxxxxxxxx