Re: why is my wireless totally borked in f7?

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 14:28 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Andy Green wrote:
>
> > Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> >
> > > however, when i go to "System" -> "Administration" -> "Network", there
> > > is no entry for wireless and, if i select that i want to add one, the
> > > only choice i'm given is "Other wireless card".  i would have thought
> > > i would be shown the internal broadcom device.  am i already confused
> > > by what i should be seeing here?
> >
> > If you do an
> >
> > iwconfig
> >
> > you should see wlan0 listed if all is well.  But probably nothing
> > will be well unless you have the righteous firmware in /lib/firmware
> > already.
>
> right now, i'm doing a fresh install on that laptop, and i'm going to
> carefully document what the state of the world is starting there.
> first question -- do i need to be running NetworkManager?  that's a
> new service for me, is it necessary or can i ignore it for now?
I don't know whether need to run NetworkManager but running it and
NetworkManagerDispatcher and stop network from running will probably
give you a better wireless experience. It would be worht giving it a
try.

> also, what should i document when that system comes up?  as a prelim
> list:
>
> - any references to wireless in dmesg/messages
> - output of "iwconfig"
> - what shows up in the "Network" admin client
> - contents of /lib/firmware related to wireless
>
> anything else?
>
> rday
> --
> Robert P. J. Day
> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry
> Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Sometimes you get an almost irresistible urge to go on living.