Re: why is my wireless totally borked in f7?

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   the short question:  what is it about upgrading from fc6 to f7 that
> > completely destroyed my wireless?
> >
> >   the long form:  ever since upgrading to f7 (actually, a fresh
> > install), i've been unable to get wireless access, which i've had
> > without problems for at least the last couple releases.  i've asked
> > about this before and i've been fighting with this on and off lately,
> > and i plan on spending time this weekend going at this again.  but,
> > really, has anyone else gone through this and can explain what it is
> > about f7 that just sucks WRT wireless?
> >
> >   my main system is a dell inspiron 9200 in which i use a linksys
> > pcmcia card (WPC11-V31) which worked flawlessly with my linksys WAP
> > until f7.  i also have a gateway MX7120 with onboard wireless running
> > f7 which also utterly fails to connect.
> >
> >   wireless used to be an absolute no-brainer until f7 -- the total
> > failure.  is there something simple i'm overlooking?  i can't be more
> > detailed until i go at this over the weekend but if there's something
> > stupidly trivial i might have overlooked WRT f7, by all means, make a
> > suggestion.  thanks.
> >
> > rday
> >
> 	Well for sure you have a new kernel. In a root Terminal use #
> lsmod and see if your wireless software is in the new kernel. If not
> seen then do # modprobe your-kernel-driver from FC6 and if it does
> nothing your kernel has the driver you need.
>
> 	If it says no such thing then you need to yum a newer kernel
> or, yum a kernel update having that driver.

  i've already been down that road.  i've used both the official FC
kernels, and built my own as well.  the gateway laptop does have the
broadcom drivers loaded, so that shouldn't be a problem.

  let me re-iterate -- until f7, wireless config and usage was a
no-brainer.  it just worked.  now, with f7, it just *doesn't* work.
so i'm curious if anyone else noticed problems right after moving to
f7.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA