Re: computer name on a LAN

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Mikkel:
>>> :)    Funny, considering I got this earlier:
>>> [mpk@d500 documents]$ rcp info 10.0.0.6:
>>> 10.0.0.6: No route to host
>>>
>> That is because the port you are trying to connect to is blocked. If
>> there was not route for everything, then ping return the same error.
>
> OK - I get it. So, would that port be blocked because of no entry in
> iptables, or because I have to config my router?

iptables - the home/small office routers do not do port blocking on
the local network.

> Also, what port do rcp and rsync use?

You can find the ports used for most services in /etc/services.

> Do I need to use that 'portmap' program? Where do I get it?

portmap came from portmap-4.0-65.2.2.1 on Fc-6. But you will not
need it for rsync - you can do rsync over ssh, and it is a much
better way to do things. The standard r* commands such as rcp,
rlogin, etc were designed when networks were much safer places. They
tend to be a security risk now days. Using rsync over ssh is a way
around this.

Also, if you are going to use commands like rcp, I believe you need
to have xinetd running on the target machine. And the stock install
of xinetd has just about everything turned off. You can manage the
services controlled by xinetd with chkconfig just like other
services, or by editing the files in /etc/xinetd.d.

Mikkel