Re: custom partitioning

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> I just got another computer, and I'm stalled in the partitioning
> department. I decided to forgo LVM, so I have some questions.
>
> Does it matter in which order I create the partitions? Like, should I
> create /boot first?

It depends on the drive/BIOS on the machine. While it is not a
problem on most modern machines, the having a separate /boot
partition came about because drive size growth outpaced the BIOS
ability to access the entire drive. So you needed to create the
/boot partition in the part of the drive the BIOS could access. You
would create a small /boot partition at the start of the drive, and
the rest of your partitions after that. That way you could be sure
the first stage boot loader could load the main boot loader. It is
not as much of a problem with newer machines.

> On the 'Add partition' window is a checkbox: 'Force to be a primary
> partition'. What's this? (It's not mentioned in the Installation docs.)
> Do any partitions need it?

Linux is happy to run in extended partitions, so you usually do not
need to force any of the partitions to be primary partitions. But if
Linux is going to be the only OS on the drive, it is probably a good
idea to make the /boot partition a primary one. Some BIOS have a
problem booting from a disk with out one active, primary partition.
(It needs to be marked as bootable.)

Mikkel