Re: Problem with NON-Wireless network card

Rick Stevens wrote:

> True.  Now that I think about it, "install somemodule /bin/true" would
> probably do the trick.  Gee, that's sneaky!

Definitely sneaky. I like it!

>> The blacklist option should prevent a module from being loaded.
>
> As far as I know, blacklist just tells a module to ignore any internal
> aliases it may have...it doesn't necessarily prevent it from loading.

If you look at the aliases, (modinfo <module>), you will notice that
the aliases are all hardware specifications. (I look at it as this
modules supports this list of hardware.) With it blacklisted, it
should prevent automatic loading because the module is no longer
listed as an alias for that hardware. At least that is my reading of
the way it works. If I am wrong, I hope someone that knows better
will correct me.

> Adding the module name to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist or
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat file does prevent it from loading.

You can add it to /etc/modprobe.conf - there is some question of
what happens when you have both modprobe.conf and a modprobe.d
directory. From the modprobe.conf man page:

Because the modprobe command can add or remove extra more than one
module, due to module dependencies, we need a method of specifying
what options are to be used with those modules. /etc/modprobe.conf
(or, if that does not exist, all files under the /etc/modprobe.d
directory) specifies those options, as required.

This makes it sound like the files in /etc/modprobe.d are only used
if there isn't a /etc/modprobe.conf file. Your experience with
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist tends to support this.

Mikkel