Re: Problem with NON-Wireless network card

Nigel Henry wrote:

> Hi Steven. Personally I'd wait and see if the next kernel update fixes the
> problem, and in the meantime use the kernel that works ok for your NIC.
>
> Incidentally, where did you get the 2.6.22.1-15.fc6 kernel? The latest kernel
> on F7 on my other machine only shows 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7, and I'm on FC2 on the
> machine I'm posting from, but looking at FC6's /boot on the same machine (and
> I havn't updated FC6 for a couple of weeks) the latest kernel I have is
> 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6. Just interested.
>
> Could you post the output of /etc/modprobe.conf. It would be interesting to
> see if the ethernet card, and the wireless card are there. I ask because I
> have had more than one audio device detected by Alsa, and have had to set
> options lines so that they are loaded in the correct order.
>
> For example on F7 my ethernet driver shows up in /etc/modprobe.conf as.
> alias eth0 8139too
>
> Now I only have one NIC on each of my two machines, but perhaps you can set
> options lines also if you have multiple network cards. something like
> perhaps.
>
> alias eth0 b44
> options b44 index=0
>
> And if the wireless drivers are also there, set them to index=1
>
> There's also a line you can put in /etc/modprobe.conf to prevent drivers being
> loaded (your wireless ones for instance), but I'm darned if I can remember
> it. I know it starts with "install" (without the double quotes), but can't
> remember the rest of the line.
>
> Any help folks on that one?
>
> Nigel.

To block loading of a driver, you can blacklist it.
(blacklist <module name>)

I suspect that the index option is not going to work with NIC
modules. The options directive lets you specify options that are
passed to the module when it loads. The ALSA sound modules
understand that index specifies what sound card they are supposed to
be. (Card 0, 1, 2, etc...)

You can see what options a module supports by using the modinfo
command and looking at the parm: lines.

Mikkel