Re: Problem with NON-Wireless network card

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 17:11 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 23:24 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> >
> >> There's also a line you can put in /etc/modprobe.conf to prevent drivers being
> >> loaded (your wireless ones for instance), but I'm darned if I can remember
> >> it. I know it starts with "install" (without the double quotes), but can't
> >> remember the rest of the line.
> >
> > I think you're referring to the "--ignore-install" option.  Or the
> > "remove" command.
> >

> I could be wrong, but I think --ignore-install just bypasses the
> install option of an alias to prevent loops.

That's certainly its function.  I was just responding to Nigel's
comment.

>                                               I do not think you can
> use it to block the install of a module. The remove option is only
> processed when you rum "modprobe -r <module>" to remove a module.

True.  Now that I think about it, "install somemodule /bin/true" would
probably do the trick.  Gee, that's sneaky!

> The blacklist option should prevent a module from being loaded.

As far as I know, blacklist just tells a module to ignore any internal
aliases it may have...it doesn't necessarily prevent it from loading.

Adding the module name to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist or
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat file does prevent it from loading.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
-               Duct Tape + Magic Marker = Label Maker!              -