passwords not recognized when su'ing from a terminal

I have F7 (fresh install in late June) on a Dell Latitude D610.

Just a few days ago, I stopped being able to 'su' or 'su some_user'
from a terminal: the passwords are no longer accepted.  Same problem
to unlock a session (need to enter the password).

I can still login OK (as root or any user) from the initial login
screen or when switching user, or from a virtual terminal.

After one day of Googling, the only things I found meaningful to
report are the following:

That is what appears in my /var/log/secure file when I try to 'su -'
from a terminal from my account (cochard):

   Jul 19 10:56:49 pcinvit10 su: pam_unix(su-l:auth): authentication
   failure; logname=cochard uid=500 euid=500 tty=pts/12 ruser=cochard
   rhost= user=root

and when I try to 'su test':

   Jul 19 10:57:00 pcinvit10 su: pam_unix(su:auth): authentication
   failure; logname=cochard uid=500 euid=500 tty=pts/12 ruser=cochard
   rhost= user=test

Here are the contents of my /etc/sysconfig/authconfig file:

   USEDB=no
   USECRACKLIB=yes
   USEHESIOD=no
   USEWINBINDAUTH=no
   USELDAP=no
   USELOCAUTHORIZE=yes
   USENIS=no
   USESMBAUTH=no
   USEWINBIND=no
   USESHADOW=yes
   USEKERBEROS=no
   USELDAPAUTH=no
   USEMD5=yes
   USEPASSWDQC=no
   USESYSNETAUTH=no
   USESMARTCARD=no
   FORCESMARTCARD=no

By comparing to the authconfig from my FC5 install, I tried to set
USELOCAUTHORIZE to 'no', and also tried to delete the lines with
USESMARTCARD and FORCESMARTCARD, but I noticed no change.

So I'm stuck here.  Thanks in advance for any piece of advice for
investigating further.

Alain