Re: DOS Attacks and Network Security [OT]

On Thursday 19 July 2007 10:12:48 Tony Crouch wrote:
> Hi All,
> My apologies for the off-topic posting but I did not know where else to
> turn for this type of information.
>
> Over the last weekend I turned on "email notifications" for my netgear
> DG834 router / modem. I was quite shocked when I realised while I am at
> work and sleeping the modem is being hit with anywhere between 10 or 20
> DOS (Denial of Service) attacks per day.

Which type? I mean, what did they do?

> I am thinking if this number is of a large magnitude is it time for a
> dedicated hardware firewall to protect against these attacks? If the
> issue is not necessarily the number from the port (or the IP address) on
> which the DOS are being issued please let me know and I will pass along
> one of the email notifications.

Do you think it's worth to buy a hardware firewall to protect your home
network...? I guess it would be much more cheaper, efficient and, for sure,
more fun to set up a linux router doing NAT before your modem (or behind,
setting it as a bridge) and using iptables, snort and logwatch to ban all
those connections which don't let you to sleep in calm :-)

This is a interesting thread, keep giving us so more information!
All the best
Manuel

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.