DOS Attacks and Network Security [OT]

Hi All,
My apologies for the off-topic posting but I did not know where else to
turn for this type of information.

Over the last weekend I turned on "email notifications" for my netgear
DG834 router / modem. I was quite shocked when I realised while I am at
work and sleeping the modem is being hit with anywhere between 10 or 20
DOS (Denial of Service) attacks per day.

I am thinking if this number is of a large magnitude is it time for a
dedicated hardware firewall to protect against these attacks? If the
issue is not necessarily the number from the port (or the IP address) on
which the DOS are being issued please let me know and I will pass along
one of the email notifications.

As this is a fairly left-field type post please do reply to me off-list.

Thanks for your help.

All the best.

Cheers,
Tony Crouch