Re: Distro hopping again: freespire

On 19/07/07, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If I remember properly, this is an old problem of yours. But now that
>> you say
>> that server checks for IP, it strikes me that the problem is not with
>> mplayer, but your IP/proxy configuration. Vmware client may have bridged
>> networking activated, and so completely independent network configuration
>> (probably DHCP served), so it just works.
>
> Yes, this is an old problem, and a big problem that I've tried to
> tackle many times. And as I help people at the university move to
> Linux, this is one of only two big problems that we're having in
> getting rid of Windows.

''MPlayer can play files from the network, using the HTTP, FTP, MMS or
RTSP/RTP protocol.
 Playing works simply by passing the URL on the command line. MPlayer
honors the http_proxy environment variable, using a proxy if available.
Proxies can also be forced:
mplayer
http_proxy://proxy.micorsops.com:3128/http://micorsops.com:80/stream.asf''

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/streaming.html

If you need to authenticate to the proxy, I guess you need to use the
format:

http_proxy://username:password@proxy:port/mms://blah...

but I never tried it and have nothing to test it on.

-Andy

I know that mPlayer advertises MMS support, but it does not work for
me in this case. I don't need to authenticate the user.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/