Re: Auto login (was: fedora-list Digest, Vol 41, Issue 195)

tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> A while ago I sent out mail about autologin and starting something up
> automatically.
> The autologin works fine.  I made a "customer" login that I auto login to.
>
> I am trying to start up a java thing someone wrote.  If I place it in
> customer's .bash_profile,
> I think it starts to early before the xinit stuff is done, so it is much
> too big for the screen.
> I tried using gnome session but I just can't figure it out exactly.  I
> can't figure out which
> session file is being used, and at times when I do, and try to modify
> it, I never get my
> expected results.  Sometimes it comes up, but the Centos screen locks in
> front of it.
>
> Anyone know the best way to have an X application start up automatically
> after
> everything is registered, etc., so it is the right size?

Depending on the desktop you are using, there is a option to have
programs run when the desktop starts.  For Gnome, you can run
gnome-session-properties (In FC-6, it is System --> Preferences -->
More Preferences --> Secession) You will have to check in Centos. If
you are running KDE you will have to find KDE's tool to do the same
thing. You have to run this when logged in as the user you want the
program to run as.

You will probably also want to go to the screen saver selection and
uncheck the Lock screen when screen save is active box. Otherwise,
you will be asked for the user's password to turn off the screen
saver, and this probably isn't what you want for the auto-login user.

Mikkel