Re: problem while sending gpg key to mit key server

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 09:24 +0600, Mustafa Qasim wrote:
> for gpg --send-keys E35924AA --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net it says
> gpg: no keyserver known (use option --keyserver)  ......  [I am
> already using the --keyserver option ..]

Most peculiar.  Try rearranging the order on the command line (put the
key ID last).  I just tried the opposite (to sending), fetching that
key.  Obviously it'll fail to get *that* key, because it's not on the
server, but I expect a gpg error message that makes sense.

This failed stupidly for me:

[tim@gonzales ~]$ gpg --recv-keys E35924AA --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
gpg: "--keyserver" not a key ID: skipping
gpg: "hkp://subkeys.pgp.net" not a key ID: skipping
gpg: no keyserver known (use option --keyserver)
gpg: keyserver receive failed: bad URI

It didn't use the keyserver address as server address, but as the key to
retreive.

This failed sensibly for me:

[tim@gonzales ~]$ gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys E35924AA
gpg: requesting key E35924AA from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
gpgkeys: key E35924AA not found on keyserver
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

It connected, but there wasn't *that* key on their server.  If that key
was there, it would have worked.

Have a go at retreiving a key from the server, to see if that side of
things works.

> m not using LDAP so it none of my business

You don't have to be, *they're* offering it as a communication protocol
to use the keyserver.  Give it a try.

> for mailto command it gaives the same error
> gpg: no keyserver known (use option --keyserver)

I think you might have to send us a copy of your gpg.conf file, but
remove anything private FIRST (also leave a comment so we can see where
you've done that).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.