Re: Laptop WiFi manual

on 7/14/2007 6:12 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Ian Malone wrote:
>
>>> What you've documented are the basic steps to take if it doesn't
>>> work straight off (identify your chipset, check to see if it's
>>> supported), but there are cases where more work is required.
>>> Have a look at the ongoing "Add Wireless to Laptop" thread for
>>> instance.
>>>
>>    Let us just agree to disagree. I think my writing is far superior to
>> the tiny bits of data people give a person trying to set up a wifi
>> laptop. It goes on and on like the "Add Wireless to Laptop" thread.
>>

> I don't see what we're disagreeing about.  There's nothing wrong
> with documenting the first things to try; it could save a lot of
> people a lot of time knowing to do things that I would do
> automatically[1], it's a good thing.  But I indicated the thread I
> did because that's a case where we know what the driver is but
> whatever the reason it isn't working is is more complex.  It is the
> reason we have mailing lists: you can't cover every eventuality.
>
> There's no point me telling someone to do X, Y and Z when
> X fails to work, therefore Y isn't possible and Z doesn't
> even make sense on their setup.
>
> [1] These days things I'd do before even buying a computer.

It never ceases to amaze me when someone who knows little, or nothing,
about Linux or their computer hardware, does not spend some time doing a
little basic research, a little reading, a little Google searching, maybe
even lurk a list like this one for a month *before* they even attempt to
install some distribution of Linux on anything.

Just in the last month it would be really obvious that if you:

a) Want to watch DVD movies?
b) Listen to music CDs?
c) Have a laptop?
d) Want/need 3D graphic support?
e) WiFi connections?

Answer to all of the above, and more: It takes extra steps.

These same questions, and others like them, recycle about every two weeks
or so. Followed but the same answers.

My guess on the next one? Where are the CDs for Fedora 7?
--

  David