Re: Laptop WiFi manual

Karl Larsen wrote:
Ian Malone wrote:

What you've documented are the basic steps to take if it doesn't
work straight off (identify your chipset, check to see if it's
supported), but there are cases where more work is required.
Have a look at the ongoing "Add Wireless to Laptop" thread for
instance.

Let us just agree to disagree. I think my writing is far superior to the tiny bits of data people give a person trying to set up a wifi laptop. It goes on and on like the "Add Wireless to Laptop" thread.

I don't see what we're disagreeing about.  There's nothing wrong
with documenting the first things to try; it could save a lot of
people a lot of time knowing to do things that I would do
automatically[1], it's a good thing.  But I indicated the thread I
did because that's a case where we know what the driver is but
whatever the reason it isn't working is is more complex.  It is the
reason we have mailing lists: you can't cover every eventuality.

There's no point me telling someone to do X, Y and Z when
X fails to work, therefore Y isn't possible and Z doesn't
even make sense on their setup.

[1] These days things I'd do before even buying a computer.

--
imalone