Re: Laptop WiFi manual

Karl Larsen wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
        How to get WiFi working on your lap-top

IV:    There is a new network system available in at least Fedora Core 6
and Fedora 7 called NetworkManager. You will want to set that up at
least on your laptop. I have it on both computers. Caution! Turn off
network if your using NetworkManager.

If this is meant to be general advice then it should be pointed out
that NetworkManager does not work with all WiFi devices
(as you will find the NetworkManager team accept).

V:    If you have the right kernel you can now use # modprobe ath_pci
and that will work.

Again, if this is meant to be general advice
it seems odd that you assume the person has an Atheros WiFi card.

There are many WiFi cards apart from the ones you mention.
I think your advice would be better entitled,
"How I got WiFi to work on my computer."

Please READ the manual again and see if your complaints are valid. Yes I do use my experiance and the calls are what I used. Others will use their own. I am not aware of any reason why NetworkManager will not work with ANY kernel. This is news to me.

<http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerHardware> N.B. "Unsupported or
Unknown Cards & Drivers", as Timothy Murphy pints out "as you will
find the NetworkManager team accept."  Nothing to do with kernel
version, except in the sense that in some future kernel a driver
from that list might move to the supported list.  NM is still a
work in progress.  (As the many annoying authentication bugs
testify.)

What you've documented are the basic steps to take if it doesn't
work straight off (identify your chipset, check to see if it's
supported), but there are cases where more work is required.
Have a look at the ongoing "Add Wireless to Laptop" thread for
instance.

--
imalone