Re: 2 Subnets on 1 Lan

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:05:10AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> It may not be a best practice, but I can't think of anything that
> actually breaks - or is even an issue on a small private network - if
> you overlay subnets on the same wire.

I've seen switches and firewall applicances get confused, plus excessive
traffic.

> VLANs are a nicer approach but then you need a more expensive switch
> and if the Linux box is on a trunk connection you have to find some
> elusive documentation about how to configure subinterfaces.

I don't see the need.  Put in a $20 NIC, tell the Linux box about the
second NIC and configure it.  Voila!  Oh, and a cheap switch for the
second LAN if you've more than one device.

But if it works in a given environment, hey, that's an engineering
solution.
--
	Dave Ihnat
	President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.