Re: 2 Subnets on 1 Lan

Dave Ihnat wrote:
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:32:52AM -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
I have a small network that is 10.10.10.x and I have a few PLC devices
that I'd like to be able to talk to that are on a 192.168.0.x segment.

Can I put some sort of a route statement into my fedora server that
will link these two so that I can talk to the 192 devices from my pc
on my 10 network? I use my fedora box as my router and dhcp server.

Eh, the *proper* way to do this is to throw a second NIC into your Fedora
server and configure it to the 192.168.0 network.  Then Fedora will happily
route between the two.

You really shouldn't mix subnets on the same segment.

It may not be a best practice, but I can't think of anything that actually breaks - or is even an issue on a small private network - if you overlay subnets on the same wire. VLANs are a nicer approach but then you need a more expensive switch and if the Linux box is on a trunk connection you have to find some elusive documentation about how to configure subinterfaces.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx