Re: 2 Subnets on 1 Lan

Dave Ihnat wrote:
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:11:51AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
One possible issue here: you can't serve both address ranges via DHCP and keep then separated on the same wire. In that scenario the DHCP server can't distinguish any difference in the requests unless you configure responses by MAC address. If one of the ranges has statically assigned addresses, this isn't a problem.

Other services have problems, too; I think dynamic DNS may be upset at this,
for one.

Oh, and another thing--it's important to segregate what you may consider
acceptable in a small home network, and what would ever be acceptable in
a business or professional environment.  I'd never advocate this outside
an experimental environment.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about using anything that might break from an overlaid subnet in a production environment than the overlaid subnet itself. But, in that situation you'd probably have VLAN capable switches anyway.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx