Re: F7: SELinux feature or bug?

On 7/8/07, Jeroen Lankheet <admin1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I think I've been stupid or framed or both. I wanted to samba share a
USB disk on a F7 system but got an SELinux message saying that the
directory could not be shared, and that there was a command to get it
right (=wrong?).
So I typed in

chcon -t samba_share_t -R /

I find that hard to believe, but ok.

Yes, that's what was in the SElinux message thingie as suggestion. And
being a total SELinux nitwit I did what the almighty Linux system adviced.

Interesting tone your taking on a mailing list used to request
assistance (usually)

So it took a while before getting "operation not permitted" on /dev/....
Then I cancelled the operation but the damage has apparently already
been made.
I retyped the command with the proper directory to share and now the
share worked.

See, you're not a nitwit.

But when I restarted the system all kinds of services were broken
including /dev/eth0.

Easily fixable, there's a single command to relabel everything appropriately.

The kernel could not find the eth0 device. The X configuration was gone
and all kinds of errors were smashed into my face.
So it looks like the SELinux (or me myself?) has scrambled my harddisk.

It's definitely you yourself, since you did admit to running the
command (which SELinux doesn't do for you)

I cannot even login anymore. The system is completely dead.

Linux systems don't die so easily, there's always runlevel 1, if even
that doesn't work, there's the rescue disk.

Some 'simple' questions:
Why did this go wrong?

You typed in a power command, as root, with inappropriate arguments,
either by your own mistake, or by the mistake of the SELinux problem
resolution adviser.

What actually did go wrong?

You gave the entire system the same labelling, the entire system
doesn't not use the same labelling.

What to do next? Re-install? That would be a bummer.

Not necessary, if the advice you receive here in inadequate, come over
to the IRC chatroom and request live assistance, just be polite.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Jeroen.

Regards