Re: auto install of nvidia driver

On Tuesday July 10 2007 2:06:26 am Phil Meyer wrote:
> It most certainly will not work, and cannot possibly work for the
> original poster, who most plainly wrote that is is using a non Fedora
> kernel.
>
> For those not paying attention............

another young whippersnapper!
It did occur to me that Gene uses custom kernels, but only after the fact, and
only from memory as I hadn't followed the whole thread. I was simply
responding to his interchange with Brian:

*****************
>DKMS works great for me, no configuration necessary. Just install the
>DKMS rpms and the nVidia driver from freshrpms. I also use the DKMS
>aware wireless driver and everything gets handle automatically at boot.
>
>- Brian

Such info was not made available when I asked about dkms
*****************
I don't really know exactly how dkms is written - are you sure this script
will only work with Fedora kernels? I know it's used by other distros because
I learned of it over on the PCLinuxOS list over a year ago. If you install
custom kernels, can you get the kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages for
same? If so, would dkms not work in that situation? I'm not challenging what
you said - I'd just like to know how it works. Looking at Akemi's suggestion,
it appears that he's checking the kernel at boot-up and running the nvidia
installation if it detects a new kernel, but I don't fully understand the
code and could certainly have that wrong, but, if so - doesn't running the
nvidia installation file require the devel and headers too? Questions,
questions....

--
Claude (OF) Jones
Brunswick, MD