Re: gthumb/jpegtran: jpeg rotation looses metadata (fc5) [libexif]

Hello Mike and all,

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 22:36:36 +0200 wwp <subscript@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Mike,

> > Are you using the rotation functions in the "Tools" menu? They are
> > supposed to preserve metadata. The ones in the "Image" menu don't.
>
> Yes I confirm: I use the rotation from the Tools menu, that one
> unexpectedly looses metadata.

I've investigated a bit more.. here are the results, for the sake of
the archives. Maybe the gthumb or libexif authors could bring an
explanation.

Tried reverting gthumb to the original version shipped w/ FC5
(gthumb-2.7.3-2, there has been only one update) but this didn't fix
the Exif metadata loss when rotating .jpg files in gthumb. libjpeg
couldn't be the culprit as there have been no update in the whole FC5
life.

Finally, reverting to libexif-0.6.12-3.2.1 did fix it! I can't swear
that libexif is the culprit, it could be gthumb itself (it uses
libexif). At least it works for me now, waiting for a global system
upgrade.

Regards,

--
wwp