Re: auto install of nvidia driver

On Tuesday 10 July 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Tuesday July 10 2007 2:06:26 am Phil Meyer wrote:
>> It most certainly will not work, and cannot possibly work for the
>> original poster, who most plainly wrote that is is using a non Fedora
>> kernel.
>>
>> For those not paying attention............
>
>another young whippersnapper!
>It did occur to me that Gene uses custom kernels, but only after the fact,
> and only from memory as I hadn't followed the whole thread. I was simply
> responding to his interchange with Brian:
>
>*****************
>
>>DKMS works great for me, no configuration necessary. Just install the
>>DKMS rpms and the nVidia driver from freshrpms. I also use the DKMS
>>aware wireless driver and everything gets handle automatically at boot.
>>
>>- Brian
>
>Such info was not made available when I asked about dkms
>*****************
>I don't really know exactly how dkms is written - are you sure this script
>will only work with Fedora kernels? I know it's used by other distros
> because I learned of it over on the PCLinuxOS list over a year ago. If you
> install custom kernels, can you get the kernel-devel and kernel-headers
> packages for same? If so, would dkms not work in that situation? I'm not
> challenging what you said - I'd just like to know how it works. Looking at
> Akemi's suggestion, it appears that he's checking the kernel at boot-up and
> running the nvidia installation if it detects a new kernel, but I don't
> fully understand the code and could certainly have that wrong, but, if so -
> doesn't running the nvidia installation file require the devel and headers
> too? Questions, questions....

Of course it does, but how did I get to the state of running a 2.6.22 kernel
(which scheduler sucks dead toads through soda straws BTW & thanks to Joanne
for that phrase) without those files being installed?  I'll leave that answer
for the younger whippersnappers here to figure out...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)