Re: auto install of nvidia driver

Claude Jones wrote:
On Monday July 9 2007 5:56:45 pm Claude Jones wrote:
All I do is have freshrpms repo enabled. I install the nvidia
driver and the dkms package from there. They just work. I've
done this on multiple machines. You also have to have the
kernel-headers package installed for your kernel -
once you've done that one time, regular updates take care of
themselves. If a new kernel is installed by an update (it will
also pull in the new kernel-header package), it's detected on
boot-up, and dkms runs its script to build the new
kernel-module. When the machine comes up, the nvidia driver is
active with the new kernel - it's just really that simple - at
least in my experience. I've got two FC6 boxes and two Blag
boxes (Fedora derivative), and this is the process I've followed
on all of them. I'm hoping someone with greater scripting skills
than I will write a similar routine for the vmware player/server
modules - the only thing remaining that I have to rebuild after
a kernel update.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-March/msg00819.html

************************
you just chose to ignore my suggestion ;-)

by the way....
shortly after I sent that off, I finished up a fresh install of F7 on a machine I'm building for someone else first thing I did was enable the freshrpms repo by installing their release package I then configured freshrpms for Smart, another package I first installed I then asked Smart to download the dkms package and the Nvidia driver for my card, which is an older card so I picked the .96 version which was appropriate Smart then decides that I need a new kernel, the xen kernel, and the regular kernel-devel but the i586 arch - I let this go ahead, and needless to say it didn't work after a reboot I next removed the xen kernel and the i586-devel and installed the correct i686-devel for my installed kernel - If I remember right, that uninstalled the nvidia driver and dkms and I permitted that
Then I reinstalled dkms and the nvidia driver
Then I rebooted again, and the nvidia driver got detected and dkms built the kernel module, and when the machine came up, the nvidia driver was running Then I ran a general update which pulled in tons of packages, over 400 mb's worth including a new kernel When finished, I rebooted to get the new kernel, and again, on boot-up, dkms detected the new kernel and built the kernel-module for it on-the-fly, and when the machine came fully up, the nvidia driver was running

It really does work

It most certainly will not work, and cannot possibly work for the original poster, who most plainly wrote that is is using a non Fedora kernel.

For those not paying attention, the latest possible kernel from updates is: 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7

The OP said he is using a costom built 2.6.22

Therefore he cannot use any of the Fedora oriented kernel module packages. They all require the the kernel version to match. There is not now nor ever will be a kmod-anything-2.6.22 from any fedora repository.

To put just a bit finer point on it, the suggestion by, Akemi Yagi, in this thread is spot on, and worth saving for later perusal when any of us might like to try custom kernels strait of the press from kernel.org

I am also an OF, but I did read the Original Post. :)

Good Luck!