Re: mc

Tim wrote:

I can't think of anything on my computer other than the OS distribution where I did not have the choice of the directory where it was stored, but in those cases you probably also can't decide by seeing the name in a GUI view what the files do have in common or why you'd pick some of them for a certain operation. You'd probably need to let grep or find generate a list for you based on something in the files contents or attributes. And then xargs will run a command on each one in the list for you.

And doing all that paraphanalia is easier than opening a directory or
three in a file manager and looking at what's there?

Yes, at least on my machine - typing a couple of commands is easier than visually scanning 3 million filenames and clicking/dragging a substantial subset of them. Plus, the operations I want may involve rsync'ing to or from remote machines that a GUI would know nothing about. Whether a command/tool approach is easier will depend on how well the tool handles the job you want, though. If the task was to locate all pictures of Joe Smith, a GUI/visual approach is probably going to be your only option. If you want to find all files that contain the text "Joe Smith", grep will do it a lot faster than I can. If you want to find something based on file names, timestamps or other attributes, find will get the list quickly and can either execute

Plugging two or three drives into a system, that have been ripped out of
others, to get bits and pieces from all over them onto a new system is a
right pain in the bum to do through the command line.  But very easy to
do graphically.

Maybe, for some small number of files that have somewhat sensible names or iconic representations in your GUI viewer. If you are doing this a lot I'd recommend a network share to organize things you want to keep before the machines are disassembled and a central backup system to fall back on.

"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and impossible to accomplish complex actions." --Doug Gwyn (22/Jun/91 in comp.unix.wizards) This has not changed - and probably can't.

Have you tried DOpus 5 (or later) on a Windows environment?  If you have
the opportunity, do so.  Then you'll see what can be done with a decent
GUI file manager.

No, but I'll look at it. GUIs do only what the author(s) anticipate you might want to do though, where the tool/command approach lets you combine operations that you want whether their authors anticipated it or not. If the GUI doesn't provide an easier way to rsync groups of files or directories across remote machines, it won't be better for me than commands.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx