Re: mc

Tim:
>> But that's not it, is it?  It's far more than typing in a command.
>> Typing ls, or mv, doesn't get me anywhere.  I have to cd to where the
>> files are, probably do mkdir a few times with a cd or two thrown in.
>> I've got to come up with a sane wildcard to move a collection of files,
>> or individually list a slew of files with no commonalities between them,
>> type in paths to move them too, ad infinitum.

Les Mikesell:
> But, but, but... Having a slew of files with no commonalities doesn't
> just happen by itself.

Ooooh yes it does (panto voice)...  You don't get a say in the naming of
some things, not every file is one that you've created yourself.  Even
when you do have control, you may not want to similarly name two (or
more) files that *may* get used together in something else.

>> The fact that Linux has crap GUI file tools, in general, doesn't make
>> the CLI superior in itself.

> What's the problem with opening several nautilus windows,
> control-clicking a bunch of files in one window and dragging to one of
> the others?

It has little more than browsing features (drag and drop, copy and
paste).  If you want to actually manage things, you've got to add in
features all over the place, and put up with the awful un-user-friendly
right-click menu/properties technique, or resort to using another
program, as well.  Nautilus is not quick, nor does it make it easy to do
many file managing tasks (rename, chmod, chown, pattern select, etc.).

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.