Re: FOSS? (was Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9)

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 09:37 -0400, Eric wrote:
> I'm also well aware that it's some kind of a cultural requirement on the
> Internet that you're not allowed to just give a straight answer to a
> question that YOU consider basic or a FAQ, you're required to add some ad
> hominem seasoning to it.  It has been that way since the heyday of Fidonet
> and RIME and I guess it'll never change.

Yes, it's required.  Not quite like a uni hazing, but it goes with the
territory.  The more the original poster could have easily found it out
for themselves, but took the difficult path, the more ribbing involved.

My ribbing was mild, compared to some of the flaming you could have seen
from some people.  I haven't, yet, told anyone on a public mailing list
to RTFM, but I've come close.  ;-)  Outside of the list I had a regular
contact who'd ask me all sorts of silly questions, to which I kept on
replying "read the manual."  Eventually she started doing so *before*
asking me to clarify something.

But being serious, you must go out of your way to avoid reading internet
news/propaganda/gossip to have not seen FOSS bandied about.  It's the
current buzzword.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.