Re: FOSS? (was Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9)

At 09:21 AM 7/4/2007, Tim wrote:

> [...]

Good morning, Tim.

Well, no one asked you to.  :-)

As someone who's been a Linux user since kernel version 0.95, I guess I have a vague idea what "free" and "open source" means in this context. It's just that until today I had never seen or heard the acronym FOSS applied to it.

I'm also well aware that it's some kind of a cultural requirement on the Internet that you're not allowed to just give a straight answer to a question that YOU consider basic or a FAQ, you're required to add some ad hominem seasoning to it. It has been that way since the heyday of Fidonet and RIME and I guess it'll never change.

I have always wished that it were not so. But, that's OK, I have a thick skin. :-)

Anyway, thanks for the info... and Ian, thanks for the link, I should know by now to have just plugged it into wikipedia and something useful would probably have come out.