Re: Formatting CDs

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 22:35 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> The only media I know capable of this is DVD-RAM.
> >
> >That was my original point. You can format CD-RW under windows and use
> >them under fedora but you can't format them under fedora.
> >Why not one might ask?
>
> Because they don't need it?  They are ready to be written to right out of the
> box.  OTOH, I just checked the latest k3b, and it has an erase cd-rw function
> which I suspect is identical to what the winderz box actually does when the
> format call is issued.  But even that is optional since they can be
> over-written at any time.
How can people who are so sophisticated about obscure Linux features be
so confused about Windows functions.

I don't know what to respond to people who won't admit there is an
advantage to being able to treat a CD-RW as if it is a hard-drive. You
transfer files using cp instead of k3b. There is no comparison between
being able to blank a CD and rewriting on it and being able to process
files to it with simple cp, rm, etc. commands.

Keep your mouth shut and people will think you stupid; Open it and you
remove all doubt.