Re: Formatting CDs

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> How can people who are so sophisticated about obscure Linux features be
> so confused about Windows functions.

Because most of us don't need Microsoft to do our day-to-day work!
Therefore we're not experts in it anymore.

OTOH, welcome to the wonderful world of a "users" email list, where most
of the people trying to answer your question are other users, and not
Linux developers.  I've been amazed at the shear amount of
mis-information that's been given to you in this thread by people who
just don't know, and don't know that they don't know!

> I don't know what to respond to people who won't admit there is an
> advantage to being able to treat a CD-RW as if it is a hard-drive. You
> transfer files using cp instead of k3b. There is no comparison between
> being able to blank a CD and rewriting on it and being able to process
> files to it with simple cp, rm, etc. commands.

Aaron, Justin has a good answer for you, but it was written almost 45
minutes after you wrote this.  What you are looking for is certain UDF
support.  It is sometime called "packet-writing".  It is the ability to
read/write certain blocks directly on some RW media.  You should read
the wikipedia page on UDF.  It would be a good start.  Everything I have
found about it warns about not overwriting the same spot to many times.
 You could "wear out" that spot on the media.  There is also another
good WWW page out there concerning Linux support for the various CD/DVD
formats that explains them in great hairy technical detail at
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/  There used to be a CD
version of this page, but I can't find it at the moment.
I used it while I was trying to figure out how to write a single 8GB
file to a DVD+R/DL disk.  (short answer, you can't write any file bigger
than 2GB to any current DVD/DL filesystem, even if the filesystem itself
can store 8+GB of total data.)

Google is your friend!  Especially http://www.google.com/linux
So is wikipedia (if you know what to look for).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx