Re: Volume Control use

on 6/22/2007 1:29 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> on 6/22/2007 5:04 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>     Hi and first I have no idea what Pebkac is. I will try the man
>>> pages. Second, the problem is NOT my hardware. This same hardware works
>>> just fine if you don't upgrade the gstream software on FC6.
>>>
>>>     Finally it is not just my problem. There have been many on this list
>>> say they see the same thing on F7. What your complaining about was an
>>> effort I made to tell those using the Volume Control how to do it. And
>>> yes most people have just one sound card. That being said how I wonder
>>> do you adjust the mike gain?
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> Pebkac - _p_roblem _e_xists _b_etween _k_eyboard _a_nd _c_omputer.  ;-)
>>
>> It means that you don't know, don't understand, or both, what you are
>> doing. Which can be dangerous to your installation. You are using what is
>> called the 'shotgun' method. What does that mean? Think about using a
>> shotgun to try to kill a single housefly buzzing around your living room.
>>
>> I can understand you frustrations. Truly.
>>
>> And Gnome-Volume-Control, as you have been told by several people, has
>> absolutely nothing to do with audio volume. What does that mean? that you
>> are trying to solve your problem but twiddling with the wrong package.
>>
>> From what you are describing you are looking at a KDE GUI audio mixer
>> application. And that I can not help you with because I do not use KDE.
>>
>     David. In several cases I have called it the Gnome Volume Control. I
> have today filed a bug. We do not need to beat this old horse again. It
> is being worked on.
>
> Karl

Well in that case I wish you luck. I use GNOME as my desktop and do not
have KDE, or any other desktop installed. All I can tell is that mine
works. The red 'X's you mentioned switch on and off with a single, simple
mouse click. And setting them on or off affects if the device they control
works or doesn't work.

--

  David