Re: Volume Control use

David Boles wrote:
on 6/22/2007 5:04 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
David Boles wrote:
on 6/21/2007 7:23 PM, Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 12:59 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
If you have either F7 or F6 with all the updates you will have a Volume Control that is broken. When you click it up if your in the Alsa mixer mode you on the right side a Microphone listed on the Playback tab. This is wrong and if you look at the device below the Mike it shows a speaker!

To use this bad system first turn up the Master and Master Mono to the top and set Mike to the top. Now click File and select the TriTech OSS Mixer.
Firstly, that "TriTech" bit only refers to your hardware.  People with
different sound hardware will see something different.

Second, make a damn bugzilla report.  We've all heard the same story
from you several times, this week.  We know about it by now, you're not
doing anything constructive about it.
Karl - Please read this and listen. I am not writing this to be mean or
insulting in any way.

I have had FC-3, FC-4, FC-5, FC6, and FC-7 all installed one after the
other. At the same time I have always had rawhide (the development branch
of Fedora) installed too.  And my mixers/volume controls have all worked
just fine.

So I really think that your problems are either your hardware or Pebkac.
Really. And if I had to bet I would bet on Pebkac.

Hi and first I have no idea what Pebkac is. I will try the man pages. Second, the problem is NOT my hardware. This same hardware works just fine if you don't upgrade the gstream software on FC6.

Finally it is not just my problem. There have been many on this list say they see the same thing on F7. What your complaining about was an effort I made to tell those using the Volume Control how to do it. And yes most people have just one sound card. That being said how I wonder do you adjust the mike gain?

Karl

Pebkac - _p_roblem _e_xists _b_etween _k_eyboard _a_nd _c_omputer.  ;-)

It means that you don't know, don't understand, or both, what you are
doing. Which can be dangerous to your installation. You are using what is
called the 'shotgun' method. What does that mean? Think about using a
shotgun to try to kill a single housefly buzzing around your living room.

I can understand you frustrations. Truly.

And Gnome-Volume-Control, as you have been told by several people, has
absolutely nothing to do with audio volume. What does that mean? that you
are trying to solve your problem but twiddling with the wrong package.

From what you are describing you are looking at a KDE GUI audio mixer
application. And that I can not help you with because I do not use KDE.
David. In several cases I have called it the Gnome Volume Control. I have today filed a bug. We do not need to beat this old horse again. It is being worked on.

Karl